It was a privilege serving on the local committee and seeing some of the work behind the scenes involved with a music therapy conference. Attending a conference in the city so near where I grew up was surreal.
The weather varied a bit but most of our time was spent indoors attending sessions for continuing education and networking with music therapy students and professionals from across the country. Dashing outside to Drip, M Cafe and Soda City Market were also highlights.
Presenting with three music therapists from FL, MS and SC who are also facilitating Jeffery Frank Wacks Music Therapy Programs funded by the LIVESTRONG Foundation was an honor. Hearing about the start-up of their sites and discussing program highlights and challenges with SERAMTA Members was productive. The session was titled Making Patients LIVESTRONGer: Southern Style.
- witnessing student and professionals attending their first regional conference
- learning from the Research Poster Session
- hearing about the legislative journey from neighboring states' task forces #MTAG #MTANC #MTAF
- speaking with AMTA President Amy Furman
- planning a workgroup discussion for the AMTA Workforce Development & Retention Committee
- reconnecting with music therapy practicum students and faculty from Queens University of Charlotte in a non-clinical setting
- congratulating winners of the SERAMTA Awards for research, service and professional practice
- reminiscing about college years with fellow classmates from Duquesne University
- hearing of exciting plans for the 2015 American Music Therapy Association Conference
Presenting a concurrent session with colleagues from Spartanburg, SC and Pittsburgh, PA was enjoyable! The topic of our presentation was Academic & Clinical Supervision: Sharing Resources and Exploring Skills. Professional development is one of the topics that I am interested in. Sharing my enthusiasm of the processes involved is rewarding.
The next music therapy conference that I plan to attend is the 2015 American Music Therapy Association Conference in Missouri... Music Therapy: A Continuum of Growth. Begin the countdown to #AMTA15!
Though spring officially arrived last week, plans are underway for area summer camps to contract Piedmont Music Therapy, LLC. Stay tuned to the blog for more details.
Other outlets for updates include "following" Piedmont Music Therapy on Instagram and "liking" PMT on Facebook to receive posts. Thank you for following PMT and have a great week!